Carolina Nearby Attractions
Nearby Towns (within 60km)
Carolina is located ion the Grass and Wetlands region of Mpumalanga. Carolina
is well-known for its birdlife because of the wetlands and also provides a
beautiful environment for hiking, having a large number of trails in the area,
biking and many water sports including boating, fishing or just swimming.
In the late 19th Century there was an important wagon route from Johannesburg to
the gold fields of the Kaap Valley in the East. Farmers in the area that was to
become Carolina decided to establish a town as a stopover for wagon trains, and
one of them, C.J.Coetzee offered them a portion of his farm providing the town
was named after his wife. Carolina was duly established in 1882 and named after
her. The town was proclaimed in 1885. The village was totally destroyed during
the 2nd Anglo-Boer War and was later rebuilt. There are some good examples of
sandstone architecture in Carolina's public buildings.
Today Carolina is a mixed farming and small scake coal and precious stone mining
community. Carolina has a number of perfect examples of the spectacular
sandstone architecture, especially in the public buildings and also boasts
examples of San Rock art which can be viewed and explored
Accommodation that can be found in Carolina are: Bed & Breakfast/ Guest House/
Guest Lodge and Guest Farm accommodation
Activities and Attractions in the area include:
- Birdwatching - More than 200 species have been witnessed in the area,
including bald ibis and crowned crane.
- Bennefoi Farm - The first trading post and post office in the area where
build on this farm which is 17km from town.
- De Ouede Kerk Restaurant - A sandstone building which was formally
Carolina's Anglican Church, which is now housing a fabulous restaurant.
- Fishing & Watersports - This can be done at the two Dams, Nooiygedacht
and Boesmanspruit which offer great facilities.
- Grobler Bridge - This bridge is over the Komait River on the Machadodorp
road, it was build in 1896 and is now a national monument.
- Hiking Trails - The trails vary in length and many are organized
through the surroundings of the town, visiting the waterfalls, caves and
bird breeding grounds. There are 3 trails in Carolina:
1. El Dorian Trails which has both hiking trails and horse trails.
2. Kranskloof Trail and
3. Suikerboschfontein Hiking Trail
- Nooitgedacht Dam Nature Reserve - A pleasant reserve around the
Nooitgedacht Dam northwest of Carolina.
- Rock Art - San rock artwork are found in the district